15 May 2006

la vraie Parisienne sets in...

Tourists in town are the best. You force yourself to get away from your work or house cleaning chores and spend your time showing off the beauties of Paris. Not difficult you say? you're right. but leave it to me to take them to one of my coveted eating spots le reminet which is needless to say in every US guidebook. I can't believe this NYTimes review says a friendly couple???!!!! Even in NY city standards, they are not friendly by any stretch of the imagination. Well the husband/cook is decent, but I think he might be afaid to show a nice side given that he is married to Morticia.

It's frustrating to me that Le Reminet serves some of the most innovative high caliber food with reasonable prices in Paris, yet the service is generally pretty crappy. Well to be fair, it's nice but cold. Morticia* runs the place and never smiles. the servers take after her. and i have seen her storm out and slam the door. and i have waited 45 minutes to 1 hour for a reserved table nearly very single time i go there. only to be seated at around 10:30pm. the food and wine list are impeccable, though, so I keep going back with tourists. and they love the food every time. but when Morticia asks me how everything went - i went French. 100%. I didn't even bother to be gracious and say the food was excellent. I went straight off on the fact that the food arrived too quickly, that we got the dessert menus before our plates were even cleared, etc and we shouldn't have to be rushed because we are seated late. Of course, she points out that 1h15 minutes for three courses is not rushed. oops. where do i think i am ? a 4 star restaurant? my bad? nope. a French woman is never wrong.

* Not her real name but the resemblance is uncanny.

No comments: