21 December 2005

yummy holiday food 1

Living in a country obsessed with Good food (as opposed to Any food), I am blessed with the ability to partake in the enjoyment of said foods. I am not a vegetarian, nor lactose intolerant, nor concerned about animal's rights in the food production industry. Well, to some extent. Foie gras poses the most difficult conundrum for me. I LOVE the stuff. Seriously, it is so good that I can not imagine a holiday season without it. But I do pity the geese and duck which live in horrendous conditions to provide this feast on my plate. I guess I'll just have to drink more champagne to absolve myself. I am not a cruel person, but foie gras is sooooooo delectable.

The treatment of the animals was the subject of a recent debate in the French Senate. The conclusion was that "Le foie gras fait partie du patrimoine culturel et gastronomique protégé en France." Another example of the exception culturelle en France.

No comments: