27 January 2006

Day 11 to 13 - Sydney


I made it to Sydney

After a long weekend in Wellington for Jo Style's wedding to Darrin Cornes (she kept her name...), I continued my journey alone to Sydney where I met up with my friends Sara and Jason and their two kids Dylan (3.5) and Sam (8 months). I haven't seen them since before they had children and they haven't changed a bit. They live in a beautiful old ranch-style home in a western suburb of downtown Sydney.

The weather has been crap for the first three days of my stay and finally cleared up on my last day in Sydney (day 13) before our departure towards Shoal Bay. On Day 11, I wandered around the downtown in a permanent drizzle reminiscent of London. I am puzzled by Sydney. I don't know what I was expecting, but I am surprised by the large number of skyscrapers.


Flying foxes (a.k.a. bats) in the middle of downtown Sydney

On Day 13, I toured the eastern suburbs from Bronte and Bondi beaches to Paddington and Darlinghurst. A lot of walking. The views on the beach were great (path from Bronte to Bondi) and I really love the terrace homes in the bourgeois suburbs. They remind me of a neighborhood in downtown Houston (fuzzy child memory) or perhaps it’s just like the French quarter in New Orleans.I have a much more favourable opinion of Sydney now, especially since it was 26 today and sunny. Another bonus: beaches are free, clean and well guarded and they are easily accessible by relatively inexpensive public transportation.


Terrace homes in Paddington

No comments: