24 January 2006

Day 7 - Arthur's Pass

I hiked the Temple Basin path. Most tramps (hikes in Kiwi language) are several days long and take you to wondeful glaciers and such. I only had three hours to play as we were passing through this town and my friends were waiting for me. The path was all steep uphill on stone and gravel - not so easy on the knees coming down. Beautiful view at the top near ski lodges of the Arthur’s Pass valley. Meet an Australian family with three kids from Cairns doing the hike. I went up to the Temple Basin (1774m, beginning at 920m) but you can go further another hour or so wlak minimum up a steeper bit with rope to guide you and see the valley behind. The views I had were on Avalanche Peak (1833m), Mount Lancelot (2112m) and Mount Rolleston (2275m) which all had some snow coverage. I'll put up my panoramic photos when I get my cable back for my camera (left it in Wellie and getting it back in Sydney soon).


View from Temple Basin (1774m)


After a fast hike up...


Leaving Arthur's pass

No comments: