21 January 2006

Day 3 - Kaikoura to Nelson

This is from our second day on the road.

We swam with dolphins.

Next morning, we woke up early and undid the tents before heading to Dolphin Encounters (monopoly operator) where the four of us were booked to swim with dolphins. I put on his full body wet suit – head gear included and loaded onto a bus then a boat to head off to the coast just south of Kaikoura. About a 30 minute ride. The first swim was not so enjoyable for me. I was quite cold and I think the shock of swimming in that temperature water made me hyperventilate a bit. Plus the water was slightly cloudy from the wind/current. I was not breathing well through the snorkel so ended up staying above water a lot. The dolphins swam around each one of us, quite close. They told us to sing or make sounds, dive into the water to attract them. So imagine a bunch of fools (all 13 of us) making uncoordinated gestures and singing through a snorkel. Quite an image. After 15 minutes there at the first spot, we moved to another spot with at least 100 dolphins. Made the second dive much better. I was less cold I think and less fearful maybe? They really get close and you can see them looking at you with their tiny eyes. Ne sachant pas chanter, I was more humming stuff. Tried 1060 (by Panama), but couldn’t remember all the words (I think my brain froze despite the head protection). La Marseillaise, par contre, a très bien marché. The dolphins kept swimming right under and around me.


Some jumps...


My new friends

No comments: