08 September 2005

People and pets

Pet saving is becoming a big subject in NO-related blogs and newspapers. Ok, yes, I believe that if people are being forced to leave NO, they should have the right to save their pets. I understand the potential danger and reduced efficiency of adding animals to the evacuation lot. So some people decided to stay. Yet, now the people of NO are now faced with a mandatory evacuation. This is a different story. Admittingly, the logistics of adding animals to the list while maintaining some sense of hygiene and limiting resources may prove difficult, but not impossible. Many animal rights organisations are already involved (see http://animaltheory.blogspot.com/ for summary).

Don't get me wrong. I am not a huge save the animals of the world type of person - I live in a city where I am constantly watching where I walk to avoid bringing dog shit home on my shoes; I wear leather shoes; I am not a vegetarian; I am afraid of dogs, any size, any shape. BUT, I would not want to make that choice between my life and Kosmo's - he's kind of like a kid - save the children first, you know? For those of us who have chosen to have pets and/or children, we should have the right to treat them equally.

To help the pets, you can sign the petition to have Mayor Nagin amend the city's emergency order to evacuate the city's residents and their pets (dated Sept. 6, 2005) and/or donate to the American Humane Association.

2 comments:

animaltheory said...

Thanks for letting me know about the petition. I've added the site to animaltheory!

Anonymous said...

yeah, you're definitely not a vegetarian.

how about a cheesesteak ?